* Paul E.C. Melis (paul / floorball.nl) wrote:

> After some puzzling I found out why my script with correct shebang
> line (#!/usr/bin/env ruby) resulted in
>
> : No such file or directory
>
> when run as ./script.rb on my redhat linux system (it worked ok with
> "ruby ../script.rb"). It turned out that the newlines in the script
> file where done in dos style (0x0d, 0x0a) instead of common unix style
> (0x0a) and converting the newlines solved the problem.

This is an operating system thing, nothing to do with Ruby; the error is
coming from it trying to execute the interpreter;

    irb(main):001:0> system("/usr/bin/env ruby\r")
    : No such file or directory

The \r is moving the cursor to the start of the line then the error is
overwriting the filename.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky / aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-