On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 06:36:02AM +0900, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> Like this?
>
> code = "puts 'foo'"
> o = Object.new
> o.instance_eval "def bar;#{code};end"
> o.bar

Ah, some things falling into place now :-)

I can add methods to an individual object, rather than to a class; so I get
a sort of private derived class (i.e. o is no longer really an "Object" but
an "Object plus some stuff", although o.type still says "Object")

Would o.bar be correctly termed a "singleton method"? If so, I think that's
one of the few areas where Programming Ruby creates confusion. As far as I
can see, the only use of the term 'Singleton' in the first exposition is for
creating single instances of a class (i.e. the Singleton mixin), and later
on singleton methods are just mentioned in passing as if you knew about them
already...

Thanks,

Brian.