Hi,

At Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:46:27 +0900,
Guy N. Hurst <gnhurst / hurstlinks.com> wrote:
> Akinori MUSHA wrote:
> > After all, it's not too much to say that Ruby has all that PHP has
> > plus yet more, although PHP is solely specialized as an embedded
> > language.
>
> Actually, this is not accurate, because functionality does not
> overlap (although it could eventually do so).

Admittedly.  I only saw PHP from a linguistic/grammatical point of
view as I thought Valerio wanted it.

> Many things already successfully supported by PHP are either not
> available or not finished for Ruby/eRuby.
> Can you dynamically generate Flash SWF files with Ruby or eRuby?

This sounds interesting.  I have some experience in PHP3, but I
haven't ever used that feature.  I'd look into it to bring to Ruby
some day.

> Do you have built-in support for cybercash?

Though CyberCash module for Perl can be used from Ruby, it would be
nice if it were to be ported to Ruby.

> Do you have built-in support for sessions?

This should soon be done.  PHP/ASP/JSP have had it since long ago.

> These are just a few examples.

Yes, PHP has those advantages because of its focusing on Web use.

> Documentation is important in gaining loyal users.
> A development environment is also important to a section of potential users.
> All these things are in progress for Ruby. Meanwhile, PHP is well established.

Definitely.  We have to learn much from PHP, especially documentation.

> PHP has more focus in this area, so it obviously will win at this time.
> However, if more support, stability, and documentation is provided with
> mod_ruby/eRuby, then perhaps it can start being a contender that cannot
> be ignored.  I don't know of anyone who is heading up such an effort, though.
>
> On the other hand, I see potential for Ruby in the building of something like 'Zope'
> or 'Midguard' for the internet.

Zope would be one of the killer apps for Python, yes.  Is anyone
working or planning on developing Ruby interface for Zope?

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"