Hi,

This looks to me like some performance fine tuning which is achieved
through some non-explicit language facility.  Probably it is time to
consider something like what Pyrex has done for Python?  (I.e., if we want
to increase performance, in my opinion, it is better to do it using some
explicit facility instead of creating some "rather confusing" code).

Also, the technique "pure local variables are faster than block local
variables" will seem inconsistent when (and if) we have explicit block
local variables in the future (such as using ":=", "_var", "local", ";",
etc.).

Regards,

Bill