* Philip Mak (pmak / aaanime.net) wrote:

> In the mailing list archives at
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml the HTML
> code is invalid. It has <h3> tags within <pre>, which is not
> allowed. (The HTML 4.0 standard only allows the elements mentioned in
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/inline.html inside <pre>.)

The page doesn't claim to be HTML 4.01; it's just tag soup.  Really bad
tag soup, but it doesn't pretend it's following any standards ;)

> Could someone fix the code? Instead <h3>stuff</h3>, it should do

Actually, it should really use unordered lists, rather than abuse pre
like this.  Failing that, it should turn pre on/off as it needs it,
rather than removing the meaningful use of headings and switching to
meaningless presentational tags that were deprecated half a decade ago.

The mail displays are a bit nasty too; using <font> tags everywhere,
using color=123456 instead of color="#123456", etc.

I could whinge about rubygarden (which doesn't even fit in my browser
window <1000px), rubycentral, and even ruby-lang too, but instead I'll
just let it be known that I am quite happy to help these sites drag
themselves out of the 1990's into the wonderful world of real markup ;)

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky / aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-