Akinori MUSHA wrote:

> After all, it's not too much to say that Ruby has all that PHP has
> plus yet more, although PHP is solely specialized as an embedded
> language.

Actually, this is not accurate, because functionality does not
overlap (although it could eventually do so).

Many things already successfully supported by PHP are either not
available or not finished for Ruby/eRuby.
Can you dynamically generate Flash SWF files with Ruby or eRuby?
Do you have built-in support for cybercash?
Do you have built-in support for sessions?
These are just a few examples.

However, Ruby/eRuby *could* exceed PHP in everything, eventually.
PHP itself only started as a small one-man project.
But the way it is now structured, many people can contribute arbitrary
modules/extensions for it, *and are doing so*, so it will be hard to overtake.
PHP is one of the best documented languages I have seen.

Documentation is important in gaining loyal users.
A development environment is also important to a section of potential users.
All these things are in progress for Ruby. Meanwhile, PHP is well established.

> Despite all above, you can still try and evaluate both PHP and
> mod_ruby + eRuby combo to compare, and add a section to "Compare Ruby
> with Other Languages" paper. :)

PHP has more focus in this area, so it obviously will win at this time.
However, if more support, stability, and documentation is provided with
mod_ruby/eRuby, then perhaps it can start being a contender that cannot
be ignored.  I don't know of anyone who is heading up such an effort, though.

On the other hand, I see potential for Ruby in the building of something like 'Zope'
or 'Midguard' for the internet.

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/