Scripsit ille aut illa Pe?a, Botp <botp / delmonte-phil.com>:

> > Peter Hickman [mailto:peter / semantico.com] informs
> >
> > Ruby has no pre/post increment operator!
> >
> > x++ or x-- will fail to parse.
>
> I hope this is in ruby's wish list :-)

Even worse:

  ++x

and

  --x

(preferred usage in C code since they don't involve a temporary)
parse and run perfectly, but don't do anything. There *is* a warning
about this, but it does not really help much if you don't already know
this pitfall:

rpolzer@www42:~$ ruby -w -e 'a = 1; --a;'
-e:1: warning: useless use of -@ in void context

One might think ruby is wrong and it is *not* useless ("I know what I'm
doing") - the only hint is that only *one* - is printed.

I think a better way would be a syntax error on double + or - operators
if they are not separated by whitespace. +-x or -+x should not be parsed
successfully, too, just to be consequent. It's ruby, no brainfuck.

--
In diesem Sinne kannst du's wagen.
Verbinde dich! du sollst in diesen Tagen