On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 07:22 PM, Bob X wrote:

> I was just perusing some OSX sites and reading a REALbasic review when
> lo
> and behold REALbasic files end in .rb just like Ruby. Would that not
> cause a
> problem because a Ruby script would have the shebang at the top?

It does cause some problems if you have REALbasic on the Mac. A lot of
Macs do have a demo version of Realbasic because of a marketing tie in
with Microsoft. If the user installed MS Office and chose to install
everything, they got a demo version of REALbasic that they may not even
be aware of. I was burned this way.

By default you can't launch Ruby right now by double clicking a Ruby
script since Ruby isn't an "application" in the sense that it gets
launch events. REALbasic is and it will plant it's  ugly icon on all
your .rb files. Worse yet, if you double click them, it will try to
compile them and report that they aren't canonical Basic.

So what are the solutions?

1) Launch ruby with "ruby -w myscript.rb" or
2) Put the official creator code 'RuBy' on your ruby scripts, using the
command line or any of the free metadata tools and then use the Get
Info window in the Finder to associate that with a script that passes
the double clicked script to Ruby. This script can also pass .py files
to Python, etc.
3) Download my RubyStudio IDE which is an 'application'  and claims
ownership of Ruby .rb files but not REALbasic .rb files.

This may sound a bit confusing if you don't have a mac in front of you.
It makes more sense it you can see it.

It's on my ToDo list to put a DocMenu in RubyStudio so that the user
can fight click on a Ruby file and get a Launch/Edit menu. If anyone
else wants to do that, feel free.

--
In the midst of great joy, do not promise anyone anything. In the midst
of great anger, do not answer anyone's letter.