On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 dblack / candle.superlink.net wrote:

> Fixnums have no virtual class, so you can't add singleton methods to
> them.

my understanding (explained to me on this group) is that anytime an object is
extended an anonymous virtual class is created which would be at the bottom of
the inheritence tree, and thus the first one searched for methods.

> Again, it's because (I think) there's no virtual class of 1, into
> which the methods of ObjectMethods could be inserted.  If you add a
> method to Object (or Fixnum), then this isn't an issue because the
> search path for the method just goes to the (non-virtual) class.

so if the search path for 1 (or 42 or whatever) goes through Fixnum -> Object,
it *is* possible to have multiple search paths - they are just not readily
modifiable?  it seems like the search path for Fixnums is fixed for ALL
Fixnums then, and that what is needed is to modify the search path on a per
object level which is possible for non-immediate objects since these objects
point to something which can describe this search path while, in the case of
Fixnums, there is no such information and the search path is hard-wired into
the interpreter?

i'm not asking anything really - just trying to grok the situation...

-a

--