There's an interesting article on IBM developerWorks about a new program
called Psyco, which hooks into the guts of Python's interpreter and does
a kind of just-in-time compilation substituting bytecode for native machine
code. Apparently, this allows python to achieve near C like speeds without
having to rewrite any code, and it sounds like a really cool project.
Unfortunately, I don't care much for Python, but I do love Ruby. This leads
me to the question of whether there are any similar programs available for
Ruby. If not, would such a project be possible?

Here is the URL of the article (broken by a backslash)
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library \
/l-psyco.html?t=gr,lnxw07=PsycoC

-
Travis Whitton <whitton / atlantic.net>