>How would your method get overwritten anyway?  (I know it's possible, so in
>some sense it's a rhetorical question, but by answering it we can discuss some
>design philosophies.)

Singleton methods in an object, which is derived from a kind of template
class, which has some method, which does some tasks, but relies on
defining some methods. (callbacks)
But there must be some easier situations...

>I have some sympathy for your concern, but I have learned to adopt the
>following attitudes:
> - if other people overwrite my method, that's their business; the
>   warranty is void
Well, but it is nice, if you warn them with an exception....

> - if I overwrite my own method *accidentally*, I either have a messy
>   design, a bad approach, or a small brain :)
Programmers are *LAZY* and have NO ((big)) brain. That's why they can
work. So your reasoning is not fair :)

Gergo

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely / mcl.hu,  kgergely / turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net