Hello William,

Saturday, October 12, 2002, 2:32:35 AM, you wrote:

WDT> It is a very interesting reading.  Now I realize more and more that all
WDT> the problems that are explicitly exposed when someone learns C++ do not
WDT> simply disappear in Ruby.  For example, C++ explicitly differentiates
WDT> "+" from "+=", C++ explicitly discusses assignment operator and copy
WDT> constructor, etc.

ruby also explicitly discusses these questions. at least we (you and
me) read the same books ;)

WDT> I guess part of the "magic" of Ruby is a conscious design decision on what
WDT> problems are to be suppressed (such as making "a += b" as simply an alias
WDT> of "a = a + b" at the cost of some performance and not providing a deep
WDT> copy method) in its OO design.

yes, Ruby is great because of great design decisions. but deep copy
has nothing common with equivalence of "+=" and "a=a+b"

WDT> I think it will be very interesting to compare the design of C++ and
WDT> Ruby from the OO point of view.

it has nothing common to oop :)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz / integ.ru