On Saturday 12 October 2002 3:53 pm, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:
> I mean to compare objectively, such as:
>
>                                     Ruby                 C++
>     variable                        typless              typed
>     data                            typed                typeless
>     assignment                      reference            value
>     memory mgmt                     automatic            manual
>     copy constructor                no                   yes
>     a += b differs from a = a + b   no                   yes
>     pointer                         no                   yes
>     method/function                 all virtual          static/virtual
>     scoping operator                no                   yes
>     class private variable          currently no         yes
>     global variable                 yes                  yes
>     method/function overloading     currently no         yes
>     etc.
>
> We are not comparing items such as "degree of fun", :)  etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill

Oh, I understood OO to mean using Object Oriented criteria: encapsulation,
inheritance, polymorphism, dynamism, etc.  I assume that to "compare
objectively" , as stated above, you mean objectively rather than
subjectively?  Using English on an international list can be a constant trial
:-)

--
Best essay I've read in years:
http://www.spack.org/words/commandline.html