Hello --

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Warren Brian Noronha wrote:

> dear developer,
>  i am a php and perl developer, well i just started developing on
> ruby i like the language since its nice small and easy to read. but
> what ruby needs is something like PHP's PEAR or Perl's CPAN.
> I would rather go for the pear kinda system. since PEAR has aranged all
> the modules and the software design is very good.
>  i am ready to lay the ground work for it i call CRAN just like the CPAN

I think almost anything is a better name than CRAN, as that (to me)
sounds like a Perl imitation reflex.  (I know there's CTAN too, but it
still sounds Perl-derived to me.)

> or till we can get a better name, i need some one to give me space
> or a CVS Access to some server the project will use XML and some NET
> Libs
>
> some one should really start organizing the modules like those in PEAR
> since it becomes easier to locate and find new modules this comes really
> handy for newbies

Whatever one thinks of RAA's layout and/or scalability, it seems to me
rather unfair to paint a picture of the situation that suggests that
no one has every organized Ruby modules.

In any case, this has been the subject of a lot of discussion and work
in the last year or so.  I wish it were the case that it has all
coalesced completely, but even though it hasn't, given the amount of
activity in this area (rpkg, rubynet, the talk of CPAN taking on Ruby
material, all of the raa.succ discussions and presentations, etc.,
etc.) you might want to see what's already going on and contribute to
an existing initiative, rather than start (yet) again.

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net