Hi --

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] "Pe?a, Botp" wrote:

> > David of dblack / candle.superlink.net enlightens:
> >
> >If you search for ++ -- on http://www.ruby-talk.org, you'll see a lot
> >of past discussion about this, including explanations from Matz about
> >the unsuitability of these for Ruby.  The short version is: no :-)
>
> Thanks sir David for the note.
> Do you think it is (im)possible ever to be included in the future?

I think if Matz wanted this in Ruby, it would be there by now :-)  The
thing is, if you have:

   x = 0
   x++

to increment x here would mean to increment the object, namely 0,
which you can't do.  (See earlier discussions for more on this.)

> I am asking since this is one of my favorites (My c++/clipper are full of
> these..). Guess I have to welcome myself fully to ruby's succ and
> iterators... Iterators are a lot of help though imho...

That's certainly true: in Ruby you don't have to do nearly as much
explicit incrementing as in other languages.

David

--
David Alan Black                      | Register for RubyConf 2002!
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net     | November 1-3