Hi,

Let me show you a new method candidate for Enumerable module, which I
named "every".  (I might not have implemented it this cleanly without
yashi and znz's help.  Thanks much!)

		*		*		*

Enumerable#every(n)

    Returns an Enumerable object that yields the iterator block for
    every <n> elements.  The block is yielded with <n> arguments for
    each, and if the number of elements are short by <n> for the last
    yield, nil's are filled as necessary.

Example 1:
    Enumerate the alphabets for every quartet and select ones that
    don't start with vowels:

$ ruby -e 'p (("A".."Z").every(4).find_all{|i| "AEIOU".index(i[0]) == nil})'
[["M", "N", "O", "P"], ["Q", "R", "S", "T"], ["Y", "Z", nil, nil]]

Example 2:
    List the files in the current directory in 3-column format:

$ ruby -e 'Dir.open(".").every(3).each{|i| puts "%-20s%-20s%-20s" % i}'
.                   ..                  CVS
cygwin              djgpp               ext
lib                 misc                missing
sample              win32               x68
README.EXT.jp       .cvsignore          COPYING
ChangeLog           MANIFEST            Makefile
Makefile.in         README              README.EXT
(snip)
string.o            struct.o            time.o
util.o              variable.o          version.o
dmyext.o            libruby.a           main.o
miniruby            rbconfig.rb         libruby.so.16
libruby.so          ruby

The implementation is available at the following URI:

	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~knu/misc/rb_enum_every.diff

Now I'd ask you some questions:

1) Is the name "every" appropriate?

2) Is it worth being integrated to the standard Enumerable class?

Any comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"