"NAKAMURA, Hiroshi" <nahi / keynauts.com> wrote in message
news:003501c27036$e0156a80$85222fc0 / sarion.co.jp...

> > Some of the wiki pitfall pages are located on a japanese
> > server. The html
> > source indicates a japanese encoding, while in fact the text
> > is in UTF-8,
> > causing backslash to be displayed incorrectly.
>
> http://rwiki.jin.gr.jp/cgi-bin/rw-cgi.rb?cmd=view;name=pitfall
>
> I told Seki-san who maintains rwiki.jin.gr.jp and tried
> to avoid this problem.  The server returned
> when the page does not contain any 8bit chars.

In us-ascii I can't write my name: Mikkel Fahnoe Jorgensen (In case it
doesn't display, the letter after 'hn' and after 'J' is similar to lower
case of the empty set symbol, and is sometimes written 'oe' in ASCII).

If the choice is  between western european iso-latin-1 and EUC-JP, the
latter is a fair choice on a japenese server. UTF-8 is a better choice
because it allows both japanese and european texts.

> Can your browser show backslashes correctly?

The following link contains and displays backslashes correctly.

http://rwiki.jin.gr.jp/cgi-bin/rw-cgi.rb?cmd=view;name=pitfall%3A%3ABackslas

However, it's strange - source type appears to be xml, not html, and content
type is still euc-jp and lang=jp (but now in xml)

The other pitfall link quotet above works the same way, but it contains no
backslashes, so it is less interesting.

Mikkel