"Gavin Sinclair" <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote in message news:<0d4201c26edd$e7bc4ba0$526332d2@nosedog>...
> perhaps there can be no self-consistent system that handles this bounday case.

The fix for this is not complicated.  At some point, an array $" /
$LOADED_FEATURES is initialized.  AFAIK, this state is used to
determine whether to require or not.  I would like for the first entry
in that array to be initialized to $0 / $PROGRAM_NAME if applicable --
I'm sure this is < 10 LOC.

> Not of great import, anyway.

This caused a problem for me, and also for [ruby-talk:34467].  Note
that in the past thread I didn't consider this behavior an issue, but
now I do :-)

It's hard to see how annoying this error is unless you've had to debug
it.  When you are focused on the issue, it is a pretty straightforward
thing to understand.  When you are combing through your application,
it is frustrating that an extra require statement can cause borked
behaviour, especially since it usually doesn't.

I can't imagine what would be broken by the fix outlined

~ Patrick

P.S. I know this is an impolite thing to do -- the open source thing
to do is to have a patch with this thread.  But I'm not comfortable
enough with my C to make such changes.