Thanks for this good work.
PS

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com [mailto:Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com]

Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 10:47 PM
To: ruby-talk ML; ruby-weekly-news / ruby-lang.org
Subject: Ruby Weekly News

   Ruby Weekly News: 10/07/2002

   A summary of activity on the ruby-talk mailing list, brought to you
   this week by Pat Eyler.

   ANNOUNCEMENTS
   =============

   JRuby beta 1.6/0.5.2
          JRuby (http://jruby.sf.net) is a pure Java implementation of
          the Ruby interpreter, being developed by a team lead by Jan
          Arne Petersen.

          JRuby is free software released under the GNU General Public
          License.

          JRuby is tightly integrated with Java to allow both to script
          any Java class and to embed the interpreter into any Java
          application.

   Blogtari 0.0.2 released
          Version 0.0.2 of Blogtari is available at
          http://www.jamesbritt.com/articles/blogatari.html

          Blogtari is blogging software. It is meant to allow people
          interested in setting up a blog site to get going quickly,
          while leaving open options for developers looking to add new
          tricks.

   WNS XFormer version 0.0.0
          WnsXFormer converts a text file describing a weekly news
          summary (as might be prepared for mailing list) into RSS 0.9
          and an E-mail message body.

   xmlscan-0.1.0rc1
          xmlscan doesn't provide a friendly interface, but it is able
          parse any XML documents exactly and fast. xmlscan also
contains
          htmlscan, an HTML parser.

   ZenTest 1.0.1
          ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your
          missing code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a
          much quicker pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and
Test::Unit.

   ZenWeb 1.14.0
          ZenWeb is a system for building entire websites, not just
          pages. It allows you to focus on the content and the structure
          of the website, while leaving page construction, markup,
          layout, navigation as secondary concerns.

   Inline::C meeting
          The Seattle.rb will be hosting a development meeting for
          Inline::C on October 8th, at 7PM. We'll be meeting at the Omni
          group's offices, directions are at the Seattle.rb web pages.

   INTERESTING THREADS
   ===================

   thoughts on typelessness
          David Alan Black started a discussion on ruby's typelessness.
          He said: 'Ruby objects are what they are at a given moment,
          whether or not that's what they were or what they will be. And
          in their momentary permutations and capabilities, they can do
          some very powerful things.'

          William Djaja Tjokroaminata commented that: 'In a "statically
          typed" language (such as C), variables have types, while data
          do not. In a "dynamically typed" language (such as Ruby),
          variables do not have types, while data do.'

          Several interesting diversions were made. Lots of good
          information passed along. At the end of the day, everyone was
          happy.

   announce@ == less email (FAQ item?)
          Ryan Davis announced the advent of an announce only mailing
          list. In his view, all future software announcements should be
          made to this list (and thence forwarded to ruby-talk).

          A lot of discussion ensued about the value of this new mailing
          list, and the value of splitting rubytalk into yet more
mailing
          lists. See below for an extension to this thread.

   Things That Newcomers to Ruby Should Know
          William Djaja Tjokroaminata put together a nice list of things
          that "ruby nubies" should know. Many other people contributed
          their thoughts as well.

   RubyConf: insurance problems solved
          While it was a very short thread, David Alan Black deserves
          many Kudos for getting everything worked out. He (and a
variety
          of other folks) have put in a lot of time and effort to pull
of
          RubyConf this year. Huzzah!

   MetaRWN
          Holden and I have been discussing the role and shape of RWN
          should the great list splitting come to pass. Both of us have
          enjoyed working on this weekly mailing. I've certainly learned
          a lot about the community as well. But we're really not sure
          where things should go from here. We've come up with a couple
          of ideas, but before we spill the beans, we'd be interested in
          hearing what you think. Will RWN still provide value in the
          split list world? Are there ways to make it better? What kinds
          of things should we cover?

          Please, take a moment and let us know what you think.