dblack / candle.superlink.net wrote:
> Hmmm.  I guess you could argue that making . include \n means that
> matches more easily straddle multiple lines.  Also, since $ and ^
> always address the string line-wise, it's sort of misleading to
> describe it as treating the string as a single line.

well, "single line" or "multiple line" is just a matter of terminology.
but traditionally "single line" (s modifier) has meant 'matching "\n"
for .', so the ruby terminology "multiple line" is at odds with perl's
re, pcre, python's re, and perhaps most others too. i suspect (though
not blame) matz chose the "m" instead of "s" because he wanted "s" to
mean "SJIS" so it's easier to remember for japanese people.

--
dave