"Dave Thomas" <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote in message
news:m2lm5afaav.fsf_-_ / zip.local.thomases.com...

> with the database stuff. I thought I'd use Mysql's freetext query to
> permit searches of the database, but that turns out to be way too
> limited (if for no other reason that I can't search for operators such
> as '||').

> So, I'm either going to have to drop back to plain text, or I need a
> new approach.

I guess you are not on a Windows box, but actually the MS Access database
has a pretty good free text search facility using the Like operator.
I'm running ASP wiki for my personal notes - it stores pages in Access. ASP
Wiki is by far the most primitive Wiki, except it is also the only Wiki that
can search on two independent keywords, except for a Lisp Wiki that cannot
run Windows. The Lisp Wiki (CLiki creates Google style weighted indexing and
stores pages in plain text. I found the link to CLiki using AspWiki's search
"Lisp Wiki", as I didn't recall it's name :-)

CLiki is a Lisp based Wiki running on a Lips based web server. The (small)
site looks fast enough. Formatting rules are different, more Lisp'ish - but
this is not necessarily bad. Most importantly... It supports multikeyword
search with an advanced ranking scheme!!

 http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index
 http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Text%20Formatting

ASP Wiki
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AspWiki