On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 18:06, Dave Thomas wrote:
> I _do_ have a problem
> with the database stuff. I thought I'd use Mysql's freetext query to
> permit searches of the database, but that turns out to be way too
> limited (if for no other reason that I can't search for operators such
> as '||').
>
> So, I'm either going to have to drop back to plain text, or I need a
> new approach.
>
> Does anyone know any decent freetext search things that work on small
> files that aren't in HTML. Or does anyone know any different way to
> allow boolean text searches of faq articles that can return an article
> number?

Why are you using MySQL?  If it's just to index articles by article
numbers, then you might be better off storing the FAQ in plaintext files
named by article number.  If lookup performance is too slow, use a
filesystem that is designed to lookup filenames in huge directories very
fast, such as ReiserFS.  You can then use normal file system tools to
search the text, or map the text files into memory, etc. etc.

Cheers,
	Nat.
--
Dr. Nathaniel Pryce, Technical Director, B13media Ltd.
Studio 3a, 22-24 Highbury Grove, London N5 2EA, UK