while we're still on it, i wonder whose decision it is to remove perl's
dual //s + //m modifiers and just adopt //s (that is, "." will match a
newline) and treat ^ & $ line-wise regardless of the modifiers. was it
matz's? i think this is a fine design decision, since many people have
trouble understanding //s and //m.

but i wonder why the chosen name is MULTILINE (//m) instead of
SINGLELINE (//s), and moreover why doesn't ruby complain when i give an
s modifier. this has bitten me a couple of times in the past, since i
often use the s modifier in my perl regexes. i believe many perl
programmers were/will be bitten by this one.

--
dave