On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:47, Pe?a, Botp wrote:
> Hi Harry,
>
> if it's not too much to ask. How/what did you fix?
> it might help me someday, too.

Alan explained that in order for a user other than the owner of a particular
database to access it, one needs to do some setup in two files: pg_hba.conf
and pg_ident.conf.

In my case, I wanted the user "apache" to be able to access the database
"harryo" (which is owned by harryo).  In pg_hba.conf, I added

   local harryo ident mymap

As far as I understand it, this means that when anyone tries to access
database "harryo" locally (ie, on this host), use the authentication defined
in pg_ident.conf as "mymap".

In pg_ident.conf, I added

   mymap apache harryo
   mymap harryo  harryo

I believe what this says is, if either "apache" or "harryo" attempts to access
anything specified as mapping to "mymap" (in this case, just the database
"harryo" as defined by the previous change in pg_hba.conf), authenticate them
as though they were "harryo".

I'm not sure why this is necessary, since I had apache connecting to the
database as "harryo", anyway, but it works fine.  I'll worry about
understanding it later ... maybe :-).

Harry O.