In message "[ruby-talk:5208] killing ALLOCA_N"
    on 00/10/01, "Brian F. Feldman" <green / FreeBSD.org> writes:

|ALLOCA_N() isn't good because stacks are not meant to be huge and often have
|reasonable resource limits imposed on them to prevent programs from running
|away in infinite loops until they use all the machine's memory.  alloca()
|would be an elegant solution to the necessity of temporary storage -- so
|maybe ALLOCA_N() should just allocate a new "InternalData" object or
|something and return its data pointer?

The stack consumption is mainly done in interpreter itself, so that
reducing stack footprint may not accomplished without full interpreter
rewrite, which is planned for 1.7 development cycle.

But I agree with reducing unnecessary alloca.  Pathces are welcome.

							matz.