Hi Phil,

I just want to say, that writing a C extension in Ruby is simply another
world beyond Ruby and C.  Even if someone is a really great Ruby
programmer and a really great C programmer, he still needs to learn how to
write a C extension in Ruby.  (Especially, writing C in the presence of a
garbage collector can be tricky if the data structure is overly complex.)

Currently not much documentation exists, and if you just scanned the
previous discussions in this newsgroup you may find several things that
are useful.

Finally, if you write C by just translating the Ruby code to a C code, you
may want to look at rb2c
(http://easter.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~hiwada/ruby/rb2c/),
which hopefully can do the job automatically for you (I haven't tried it
myself).  Then only if you want to highly optimize your code, you can
start writing the C extension by hand.

Regards,

Bill