Hello Dave,

DT> William Djaja Tjokroaminata <billtj / y.glue.umd.edu> writes:

>> Really, I want the 'rate' and 'delay' to be of class Float and nothing
>> else.

>> Can you provide some idea on how to better deal with user input error
>> using probably some Ruby paradigm?

DT> Perhaps:

DT>     def my_method(rate, delay, ...)
DT>       wibble(rate.to_f, delay.to_f, ....)

DT> Here you're not insisting that 'rate' and 'delay' are floats, but
DT> instead that they can yield float values: that they can behave as
DT> floats.

Yes! integers may be used too. but on the other hand, ruby don't
support automatic type conversion. some type can be easily converted
to Float, but don't support addition to Float:

def myFloat
  def to_f
    1.0
  end
  def +(x)
    @size+x.size

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz / integ.ru