On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 04:29:33AM +0900, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> FreeBSD's got a decent setup.  Few additions to the list here:
>
> > Here are just a few suggestions of mail lists
> > (Most of these are not original, but come from other
> > groups I have seen, eg, FreeBSD)
> >
> >  cvs                   Changes made to the source tree
> >  ruby-advocacy         Ruby Evangelism
> >  ruby-announce         Important events and project milestones
> >  ruby-arch             Architecture and design discussions
> >  ruby-bugs             Bug reports
>    ^^^^^^^^^
> It'd be nice if this were a subscribable list w/ archives, I'm sure
> that's where I would've found a bit about mark/sweep in the past.  :)
>
> >  ruby-chat             Non-technical items related to the Ruby community
> >  ruby-config           Development of Ruby installation and configuration tools
> >  ruby-core             Discussion concerning RCR's and patches for Ruby
> >  ruby-docs             Discussion concerning Ruby and library documentation
> >  ruby-jobs             Ruby employment and consulting opportunities
> >  ruby-newbies          New Ruby users activities and discussions
> >  ruby-questions        User questions and technical support
> >  ruby-security         Security issues
> >  ruby-test             Where to send your test messages instead of one of the actual lists
> >  ruby-www              Issues for using Ruby with http servers
>
> Few more to suggest:
>
> ruby-performance
> ruby-xml
> ruby-database
> ruby-gui
> ruby-extending
> ruby-embedding

Those are good additions. We may however want to consolidate and keep
the list count under 30. :)

> I know this'd spread things thin... but would that necessarily be a
> bad thing?  I'm sure many people would be on all of the lists, myself
> included, but the important thing would be that they could prioritize
> their time accordingly.  -sc

The thinner the better. That gives me the ability to subscribe
and un-subscribe as my interests change and keep my inbox below
200 emails a day.

> PS If in one weeks time I haven't heard of any objections, I will
> wholesale create all of these lists above plus any other suggested
> lists and toss them on rubynet.org along with an updated site and
> links pointing to all of the lists, descriptions of the lists, and
> archives.  Searchable archives I'll be able to have up in a week or so
> after that.

Personally, I would be very hesitant to subscribe to a non ruby-lang
authorized list. I would much rather see this driven by ruby-lang.
I feel the longevity would be more certain and searching/archiving would
be more consistent.

--
Jim Freeze