Hi --

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> * You can tap in to the node (or nodes) in the hierarchy that get you
> the detail level you want.
>
>     announce  bug
>         |      |
>          \    /
>           talk   chat
>             |     |
>              \   /
>               all
>
> (See Nikodemus's next post for explanation of 'all' and 'chat'.)
>
> * No duplication of ANN posts.
>
> * Every post is in the list archive.
>
> * Every announcement is in both the list archive and RAA. (Forbid
> posting to announce. You gotta update your entry on RAA.)

There has to be a place to post announcements.  (I thought that was
the whole point -- ?)  For one thing, not every announcement is about
software.

> * It's clear how it all fits into the ruby world. No parallel groups
> that don't talk to each other but have confusingly similar names.

Except 'talk' and 'chat' :-) If 'chat' is chartered as "off-topic",
then it shouldn't exist.  Also, there's something rather patronizing
about "chat" next to "talk" -- it clearly indicates pre-judgement of
frivolity.

(And imagine what percentage of the talk and chat on talk and chat will
be about whether what's being said should really have been said on the
other.... :-)

David

--
David Alan Black                      | Register for RubyConf 2002!
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net     | November 1-3