Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> A suggestion:
>
> Create ruby-announce and ruby-bug. Forward all the traffic from these
> to ruby-talk. Enhance RAA to automatically post an ANN when something is
> modified. Enhance the bugtracker to post a BUG when a new bug is added to
> the database.
>
> Those wanting the whole deal take talk. Those wanting less take annnounce /
> bug.

A hierarchical approach. I like it, very much.

* You can tap in to the node (or nodes) in the hierarchy that get you
the detail level you want.

    announce  bug
        |      |
         \    /
          talk   chat
            |     |
             \   /
              all

(See Nikodemus's next post for explanation of 'all' and 'chat'.)

* No duplication of ANN posts.

* Every post is in the list archive.

* Every announcement is in both the list archive and RAA. (Forbid
posting to announce. You gotta update your entry on RAA.)

* It's clear how it all fits into the ruby world. No parallel groups
that don't talk to each other but have confusingly similar names.

Naysayingly yours,

   Joel