On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:52:48AM +0900, Volkmann, Mark wrote:

> > It might be interesting to hear more about the problem the original
> > poster was trying to solve.
>
> I'm implementing SWSAPI defined by ActiveState in Ruby.

I'm not sure how to parse that sentence. Is ActiveState doing Ruby now?
That would be cool--and encouraging for the future of the language. Not
to say that what you're doing is uncool otherwise.

> Read more about it
> at http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/WebServices/SWSAPI.  This requires
> parsing WSDL.  Some attribute *values* contain qualified XML names, for
> example, "tns:TemperaturePortType".  In this case I can determine the
> namespace using the element that contains the attribute as follows.
>
>   namespace = element.namespace('tns')
>
> When attribute values don't contain prefixes, I believe I'm supposed to
> assume the targetnamespace which I can get from the "targetNamespace"
> attribute on the "definitions" element.

That must be a WSDL thing. AFAIK the Namespaces spec doesn't provide for
namespaces in attribute values. But I haven't read the whole spec, and
it's been a while since I've read any of it. I do remember a recurring
debate about whether it's a good idea to design language specs that call
for namespaces in attribute values.

> > But he seems to have either given up, or
> > been satisfied with the answers he got
>
> I was satisfied with the answers I got.
>
> > and wandered off without
> > bothering to say "thanks." Oh, well. That's mailing-list life.
>
> I did that this morning when I thanked the person who correctly suspected
> that I really *did* have a reference to a REXML Element that I could use to
> get the namespace I needed.

Yes, I saw that. Your message arrived after mine left. Anyway, I wasn't
upset--God knows I don't always properly thank people--and I hope you're
not either.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA