Hello William,

WDT> But if we think deeper, one of the first questions to be answered in
WDT> designing R is, do we want automatic memory management in terms of garbage
WDT> collector or not?

c/pascal is last languages without gc. now gc is common aven for
compiled hifh-speed languages

WDT> Member data access using hashing (as in Ruby) as compared to access using
WDT> memory offset (as in C) I think is secondary, and therefore static typing
WDT> has secondary effects on performance.  And I am afraid that we
WDT> *may* already have such a language which is interpreted,
WDT> garbage-collected, and use memory offset (instead of hashing) to access
WDT> member data; the language is called.... Java (which I think is still too
WDT> slow for network simulations)

erlang is very interesting for large number of concurrent processes

WDT> (Hmm, I guess probably the right way is to start looking from the C++ or
WDT> Objective C side, and then start reducing the language complexity from
WDT> there... Ugh, and then I haven't taken a look at that C# either...)

c*** is most obvious but not the best way. now even functional
languages like ocaml can compile to effective code

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz / integ.ru