----- Original Message -----
From: "Gavin Sinclair" <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: announce@ == less email (FAQ item?)

> > What I do wish we could get rid of are the
> > posts by people who think they can improve
> > Ruby by dragging it in a direction other
> > than what Matz has in mind, i.e., by making
> > it more like Java or COBOL or whatever.
> > These are what really make me tired. Even
> > more so than the occasional spam email we get.
>
> That's a bit harsh.  I agree it's a bit irritating, but only a bit, and
it's
> natural.  If we had some good documents (FAQ? Wiki?) summarising the
> discussions, they could be used to stop repeating them ... again.  They'd
be
> interesting documents too.

Yes, probably a bit harsh. Sorry if anyone was
offended, as I was not referring to any specific
individual.

I have had a bad week, and I was very tired when
I wrote this. And as for wanting to make changes
to Ruby, I have done the same thing.

I *do* like to keep the discussion of changing
Ruby down to less than 50% of the message traffic.
Ruby is very powerful as-is. I prefer to spend
time using tools to build, as opposed to worrying
about the exact color and texture of the hand-grip
on the hammer. But that is a bad analogy, as I am
very interested in theory and in language design.
I've pulled a muscle or something and my shoulder
hurts like the devil. I should just be quiet now.

Hal