From: "Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com>

> From: "Ryan Davis" <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>
>
> > ZenTest and ZenWeb were just released. I announced these to several
> > lists including this one. I'm sure many of you got multiple copies. I
> > admit that is annoying. These releases announce my LAST announcements
> > to ruby-talk@. I'll be announcing only to announce / rubynet.org. I urge
> > every developer releasing ruby scripts, modules, or anyone having
> > ruby-related events to use this as your primary means of announcing
> > your information. It will cut down on volumes of email that we get and
> > make it easier to focus on the work at hand.
>
> > 2) Can we get this link added to the FAQ(s)?
>
> I'll add it to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ if
> you wish. I'll list it as a possibility
> for people who wish to make announcements.
> But these will be read only by the people
> reading that list, not on the main Ruby
> mailing list or the newsgroup.
>
> I, for one, will continue announcing to
> ruby-talk (not that I have ever made many
> announcements); and I hope that everyone
> else will also. I don't want to subscribe
> to yet another mailing list, and I don't
> want to miss announcements either.

I too question the value of a separate list.  Announcements don't take up much
room in this list.  There's no need for duplicate emails: just send them all to
ruby-talk.  I can't conceive of anybody wanting to read announcements only.  If
they're not subscribed here, they're probably not into mailing lists.  Also,
what happens to follow-up discussion of announcements?

I don't mind the announcements disappearing, per se.  As long as they get
reported in the Weekly News.

> My personal opinion is that the announcements
> are some of the most interesting and relevant
> material on the list.
>
> What I do wish we could get rid of are the
> posts by people who think they can improve
> Ruby by dragging it in a direction other
> than what Matz has in mind, i.e., by making
> it more like Java or COBOL or whatever.
> These are what really make me tired. Even
> more so than the occasional spam email we get.

That's a bit harsh.  I agree it's a bit irritating, but only a bit, and it's
natural.  If we had some good documents (FAQ? Wiki?) summarising the
discussions, they could be used to stop repeating them ... again.  They'd be
interesting documents too.

> Hal

Gavin