----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Davis" <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 1:30 AM
Subject: announce@ == less email (FAQ item?)

> ZenTest and ZenWeb were just released. I announced these to several
> lists including this one. I'm sure many of you got multiple copies. I
> admit that is annoying. These releases announce my LAST announcements
> to ruby-talk@. I'll be announcing only to announce / rubynet.org. I urge
> every developer releasing ruby scripts, modules, or anyone having
> ruby-related events to use this as your primary means of announcing
> your information. It will cut down on volumes of email that we get and
> make it easier to focus on the work at hand.

> 2) Can we get this link added to the FAQ(s)?

I'll add it to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ if
you wish. I'll list it as a possibility
for people who wish to make announcements.
But these will be read only by the people
reading that list, not on the main Ruby
mailing list or the newsgroup.

I, for one, will continue announcing to
ruby-talk (not that I have ever made many
announcements); and I hope that everyone
else will also. I don't want to subscribe
to yet another mailing list, and I don't
want to miss announcements either.

My personal opinion is that the announcements
are some of the most interesting and relevant
material on the list.

What I do wish we could get rid of are the
posts by people who think they can improve
Ruby by dragging it in a direction other
than what Matz has in mind, i.e., by making
it more like Java or COBOL or whatever.
These are what really make me tired. Even
more so than the occasional spam email we get.

Hal