Christian Szegedy wrote:

> I like ocaml and I am trying to use it, but:
>
> 1) It is considerably less concise than Ruby.
>
> 2) It is at least 2x slower than optimized C code, and it is even
>    slower in Object oriented mode.

I realize that such benchmarks must be taken with a large grain of salt,
but Doug Bagley's Language Shootout seems to refute those two points:

http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml?xcpu=0&xmem=0&xloc=1
http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml

> 3) The OO support is quite artificial and (at least aesthetically)
>    does not fit into the core language.

I cannot say one way or another here.  I haven't looked at OCaml in
enough depth.

--
Jason Voegele
"We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us."