Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

>     Nikodemus> What I'd *love* would be to keep ruby dynamic as it is,
>     Nikodemus> and have a statically typed language, call it R, with a
>     Nikodemus> ruby-like syntax for extension writing: the two should
>     Nikodemus> be easily interoperable and have equivalent builtin
>     Nikodemus> classes.
>
> It has not a Ruby syntax, but it seems to me that Ocaml fits in
> nicely. Ocaml is statically typed, functional and object-oriented
> (with multiple inheritance...).
>
> See www.ocaml.org

I like ocaml and I am trying to use it, but:

1) It is considerably less concise than Ruby.

2) It is at least 2x slower than optimized C code, and it is even
    slower in Object oriented mode.

3) The OO support is quite artificial and (at least aesthetically)
    does not fit into the core language.

On the other hand it is much much more fun to programm in than
in C/C++ (but less than in Ruby).

Regards, Christian