    Nikodemus> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

    >> of course. so we give anyone choice - write efficiently
    >> compiled or easily extensible dynamic code. it is right thing
    >> (IMHO)

    Nikodemus> What I'd *love* would be to keep ruby dynamic as it is,
    Nikodemus> and have a statically typed language, call it R, with a
    Nikodemus> ruby-like syntax for extension writing: the two should
    Nikodemus> be easily interoperable and have equivalent builtin
    Nikodemus> classes.

It has not a Ruby syntax, but it seems to me that Ocaml fits in
nicely. Ocaml is statically typed, functional and object-oriented
(with multiple inheritance...).

See www.ocaml.org

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
alias: basile<at>tunes<dot>org
8, rue de la Fa?encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France