Hello Yukihiro,

Friday, September 27, 2002, 11:44:28 AM, you wrote:

YM>   * multiple method (as in CLOS, Dylan) does not fit in Ruby at all.

can you please give me an example? i know many languages but
clos/dylan not in this list

YM>   * whereas, method overloading is much better.

YM>   * but still, it's a big change to the language, so that we better be
YM>     conservative.

we prefer to make small changes in language which give large impact on
easy of programming. and because this discussion arrived. but i personally
don't see at this moment something better than my first shoot
(syntactic sugar about overload.rb and using '===')

YM>   * besides, dispatch-on-type often is code smell (sign of bad code).
YM>     I'm still not sure whether it is good to encourage this practice
YM>     by supporting it by the language.

it's intensively used already. as i stated above, first examined class - Array -
has 10% of functions overloaded. coerce is another bad side of current
ruby implementation

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz / integ.ru