Hi --

[ I tried to write by private email as you'd asked, but:

  ... while talking to mx.glue.umd.edu.:
  >>> MAIL From:<dblack / candle.superlink.net>
  <<< 550 5.0.0 Sorry,no access for this domain
  554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
]

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:

> 6) Array.new (2, Hash.new) returns an array with two elements referencing
> the same, indentical hash, and not two independent hashes.

Also if you don't close the space before the (, you'll get a warning
(at least with -w).  The whole whitespace-before-parens thing might be
worth an entry of its own.

> 7) After reading data from a file and putting them into variables, the
> data type is really String.  To convert them into numbers, use the
> "to_i" or "to_f" methods.  If you use the "+" operator to add the
> "numbers" without calling the conversion methods, for example, you will
> simply concatenate the strings.

You can use the new scanf to get around this.  I don't know whether
references to library stuff is outside the scope of what you want to
cover/include here -- but anyway, just in case, its home is:
<http://www.rubyhacker.com/code/scanf>.

David

--
David Alan Black                      | Register for RubyConf 2002!
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net     | November 1-3

David