Hi,

I think this has been discussed before.  We can take an advantage of, as
one instructor put it, "the short circuit concept from electrical
engineering", i.e.,

  A || B  # if A is false, then B should be evaluated; otherwise B is not

and a similar concept for &&.  So you can simply write:

    window.caption = files[current_item] || "Untitled"

Regards,

Bill