On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 05:37:04AM +0900, MikkelFJ wrote:
> > That's an interesting idea. How would it affect performance? Or more
> > precisely, responsiveness to user-generated events?
>
> X terminals have existed since much slower processors and networks.

That's true, but in those days people were using Athena widgets or raw
Xlib, weren't they? 'Modern' GUI toolkits like GTK and Qt are
considerably heavier. But I don't know how much difference that makes.

> Microsoft Remote Desktop works amazingly well over an ADSL VPN connection. I
> could actually use a Wacom drawing tablet. Network roundtrip best case 40
> ms, avg. 100 ms.

Is that a good example? Microsoft, I hear, uses a lot of
platform-specific hacks to optimize their GUI performance.

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA