"ts"  wrote in
> C> c)  Determine if  a ``most specific '' specialization  on
> C>      argument type (+ self type) exists. In case of ambiguities
> C>      call  a method like ambiguous_method_call .
> C>      (default action is to  raise an Exception) . This is Cecil's
> C>      and Dylan's way I believe.
>
>  The ambiguity can be seen when ruby define the method, except for the

That is a good point -  It might be a good idea to precompute
the ``regions of ambiguous dispatch''.  Did you actually do this
in your (dis-;)proof of concept  implementation?

>  example given in [ruby-talk:51426] where it can be detected only at
>  runtime.

Well just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing
the ambiguity I am thinking about is nicely described in the first
chapter of

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/amiel96fast.html

/Christoph