> That's an interesting idea. How would it affect performance? Or more
> precisely, responsiveness to user-generated events?

X terminals have existed since much slower processors and networks.

Microsoft Remote Desktop works amazingly well over an ADSL VPN connection. I
could actually use a Wacom drawing tablet. Network roundtrip best case 40
ms, avg. 100 ms.

> Sluggish GUIs seem
> to be acceptable to many developers (or perhaps they don't notice
> because they have high-end workstations)

I agree - but it's down to crappy code, not the network connection.

Networked or not, it is important that the widgets are implemented
efficiently and can handle a lot themselves.

Notice how FreeRide has separated GUI componets from GUI renderers. The
FreeRide databus connection to rendering objects could be networked.

Mikkel