On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:36:21AM +0900, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

>     William> In fact, if we all Rubyist's can agree on the GUI tool
>     William> for Ruby and make it really good, some people have
>     William> committed that they will totally leave Java and its
>     William> Swing.... :)
>
> A suggestion could be to have Ruby interact with a widget server,
> i.e. a seperate process, linked to a widget toolkit library, and
> recieving high level widgets request and replying with high level
> widgets events. [oldtimers might remember that NeWS worked this way
> around 1993]

That's an interesting idea. How would it affect performance? Or more
precisely, responsiveness to user-generated events? Sluggish GUIs seem
to be acceptable to many developers (or perhaps they don't notice
because they have high-end workstations), but can make end users' lives
miserable. That's why, for example, I don't use jEdit, despite its
magnificent feature set. It's just too damn slow; even with JDK 1.4, its
performance is barely adequate on a Celeron 400 with 192 Megs of RAM.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA