"William Djaja Tjokroaminata" <billtj / z.glue.umd.edu> wrote in message
news:amvftc$dah$4 / grapevine.wam.umd.edu...
> If I should pick just one or two words, it is: garbage collector.
>
> Yes, garbage collector makes it easy for the programmer, but nothing good
> comes without any cost.  Anyone dare to write a browser like Netscape in
> Ruby?  Anyone dare to rewrite the Ruby parser in Ruby?

Actually, Netscape used to coredump a lot and leaked memory like nothing
else. GC would have been great.
In fact it Netscape sourcecode contains the Boehm garbage collector but
according to source comments it is only used for debugging memory leaks (or
at least that is what I could figure out).

The Great Circle is a company providing GC to server systems implemented in
C/C++ where memory leaks become critical because servers run for a long
time - nearly all C/C++ code leak memory to some degree.

I believe Ruby could provide safer server systems exactly because of GC.

Mikkel