Well, I'm not Dave (although sometimes I tell people I am at parties ;-)
but,

I have an environment of four different companies working around a
single Ruby framework.  There is a core and many, many extensions.
There are about a dozen folks who are contributing code (not a hundred
mind you) and things are working nicely.  We use CVS and do a proper job
of namespace (module/class) management and rdoc our code well...I don't
have folks stomping on my code (nor do I on theirs).  The biggest
weakness is not having a powerful IDE...but then we in the FreeRIDE
project are working on that...but it will be some time.

BTW: I know of at least two major smalltalk-based billing systems, one
of which is in Verizon.  Smalltalk has similar characteristics to Ruby,
but they are far ahead in their IDE environments (VisualAge and all
that).

-rich