Hi --

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello dblack,
>
> Thursday, September 26, 2002, 3:28:42 PM, you wrote:
>
> >> why you don't want to add overload to mainstream ruby?
>
> dcsn> For me, it's because, as you pointed out, it doesn't correspond to the
> dcsn> dynamic spirit of the language.  There are already languages without
>
> pros:
>
> 1) ability to declare several functions with different arguments

That's circular reasoning -- it's good because doing it allows us to
do it :-)

> 2) enhanced reliability because argument types declared explicitly,
> not through dynamic using its methods

It sounds like you consider Ruby's dynamicness a design flaw.  If
reliable Ruby code cannot be written, then you're right.  (I think
reliable Ruby code *can* be written.)

> 3) enhanced readability of program, self-documenting

Ruby already ranks very high among (generally agreed to be) readable
languages already -- more so than some languages with strong typing,
method signatures, etc.

> of course, second and third becomes more important when application
> grows
>
> cons:
> 1) we can't fake overloaded function with object of another type
> ... more?

2) we no longer have a language with Ruby's unique combination of
characteristics.

That's what it comes down to for me.  Is there literally no room in
the world for a language that works the way Ruby works?  Why not?
Aren't there enough other options for people who are uneasy with Ruby?

> may be you don't understand me. ruby core will use old style, new
> declarations will be more appropriate for application code, where
> flexibility is not so great demand and reliability is more important

You're assuming that writers of applications have nothing to learn
*from* Ruby, and that what they should do with Ruby is make it appear
and behave like other, very different languages.  But then, why not
just use those other languages?

David

--
David Alan Black                      | Register for RubyConf 2002!
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net     | November 1-3