Hello dblack,

>> why you don't want to add overload to mainstream ruby?

dcsn> For me, it's because, as you pointed out, it doesn't correspond to the
dcsn> dynamic spirit of the language.  There are already languages without

pros:

1) ability to declare several functions with different arguments
2) enhanced reliability because argument types declared explicitly,
not through dynamic using its methods
3) enhanced readability of program, self-documenting

of course, second and third becomes more important when application
grows

cons:
1) we can't fake overloaded function with object of another type
... more?

may be you don't understand me. ruby core will use old style, new
declarations will be more appropriate for application code, where
flexibility is not so great demand and reliability is more important

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz / integ.ru