Hi --

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello ts,
>
> Thursday, September 26, 2002, 2:59:20 PM, you wrote:
>
> t> pigeon% ruby -e 'def a(Array a, Object o) end; def a(Object o, String s) end'
> t> -e:1: Possible ambiguous call [Array, Object] -- [Object, String] (NameError)
> t> pigeon%
>
> why you don't want to add overload to mainstream ruby?

For me, it's because, as you pointed out, it doesn't correspond to the
dynamic spirit of the language.  There are already languages without
that spirit.  I like the fact that Ruby isn't one of them.  I like
iterators and OO regexes and attr_* shortcuts, etc., but I don't think
that they, alone, are what make Ruby special and deep.

David

--
David Alan Black                      | Register for RubyConf 2002!
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net     | November 1-3